Time for another savoury bash! And these are waaaaaay tasty! Well, they are if you like chorizo, philly, and peppers :)
It was time for another attempt to play with a roll of puff pastry as my first attempt went a wee bit bosoms up due, I think, to it being past it's use by date and then trying to roll it after it had got a bit too warm and sweaty. It was a mess lol Oh, and the filling attempts were crap, I tried one half with apple n cinnamon, and one half raspberry jam. Don't use jam it just bubbles and goes hard and sticky, and the apple lot were undercooked....etc Just brand ma butt with a big L for learner!
So, these, I consider to be at the other end of the success scale. They worked really well, fresh puff pastry from the fridge, chucked in the freezer for an hour and a half before cutting (Instead of squashing a long pastry sausage with a knife like the last time lol), and baked to gorgeous perfection. Luvly Jubbly! The only not-really-negative point was that they had quite a lot of filling as I used 320g roll of pastry instead of 500g. But they worked :)
These are based on This Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 320g pack of Ready-rolled puff pastry. (Or 500g if you want more chomps to chomp on)
- Small bit of Butter
- 1 Red Pepper
- 200g Chorizo
- 200g Plain or Herbed Philadelphia
- 1 egg
- Grated Parmesan for topping
- Chuck a knob of butter in a small pan on a medium heat.
- Finely chop up the red pepper and soften in the pan for a few minutes.
- Finely chop up the Chorizo (I used pre-cooked slices for this first experiment) and put in a mixing bowl.
- Add a sprinkling of Paprika, the peppers, cream cheese and egg and mix together.
- Take the pasty from the fridge and unroll on a clean surface.
- Quickly and evenly, spread the filling out on the pastry.
- Roll the pastry up to form a nice savoury Swiss roll stylee log. When you get to the end just press it against the log a bit to stick the end together.
- Place in some cling film, or the plastic that the pastry was originally rolled up in, and stick it in the freezer for at least an hour.
- After about 20-30 mins the pastry log will have firmed up a bit so if you want nice round chomps just give the log a turn so it's not sat on one side all the time it's chilling. If you want 'D' shaped chomps, don't turn it :) Saying that though, mine did squash a bit still when I cut the log, but, they cooked out pretty round! (See Pics)
- Preheat the oven to 200c/Gas6 so it's heated up when the log's chilled.
- Grease/prep a couple of baking trays. I used cake release spray, I use it for everything lol. I used 30cm x 20cm trays with 6 chomps on each one. From the log you should get between 12 - 15 depending on how thick your slices are.
- Take the log from the freezer and immediately cut into slices 1-1.5cm wide.
- Place on the trays.
- Top with a sprinkling of the Parmesan.
- Bake for about 25 mins. Check after 20 mins.
- Allow to cool slightly before chomping.
- Chomp Chomp Chomp!
Choooooooons! (In new soopa-doopa, embeded, full-screenable, gloriousness!)
Right, what goes with sausage...... hmmmmm, ok I'll leave that for now...
Little savoury wheels of joy! Ooh, Jimmy Barnes - Driving Chorizo wheels, and while we're down under, the Aussie majesty of Cold Chisel - Bowriver!
Um, Sausage, Spanish, Costa del sol, um, ex-pat criminals, bank robbers, ah yes! Audioweb's fine version of Bankrobber!
Moving on, in honour of the Puff Pastry. Peter, Paul and Mary - Puff the Magic Dragon (Oh go on, sing along!)
In honour of the spirals...... Inspiral Carpets - Two Worlds Collide.
Ah, I stumbled across this gorgeous, GORGEOUS bit of 90's! T.H.K - France. This featured on the classic compilation album from DeConstruction Full On Edition One - A Year in the Life of House
.....from the same album - Datura - Yerba Del Diablo.
....um, from the same album again :) -The best remix of Felix - It Will Make Me Crazy (Mmmm Remix)
Oh, go on, one more. A bit of local action, some guitar anthemism from Coventry! The Enemy - You're Not Alone.
I'm just sticking in random chooons that I love now! haha!
Last one, honest. Massively Massive Massiveness from Delirium ft Jael - After All (Svenson and Gielen Remix)